Saturday, August 16, 2008

Soggy New England

Wow! We have had so much rain...no one has to water their gardens or lawns. Hopefully we dry out a little. Not just rain but wild and woolly thunder and lightning storms to boot! My sister Catherine and I were out shopping last week and got caught in one fierce storm. We took solace under a bridge because the rain and hail (see hail below on windshield of car) was pelting us. Catherine started snapping pictures of our situation.


We weren't the only ones to stop under the overpass.



Everyone that drove under the bridge stayed under the bridge for quite awhile sitting the storm out.

There were at least ten motorcycles waiting as well. The water just poured down from the top of the bridge and the motorcyclists had to move to the other side to avoid getting soaked.


Water just gushed down the embankment...it was a waterfall in just seconds.
Once the rain subsided we headed home. The storm was following us and below is the field just about 1/4 mile from our house. I called my husband while under the bridge and he said it was dry and sunny...once we got close to the house the skies were black and we knew the storm was closing in on us. My father calls this tree a wolf tree as it stands alone in this field.


This photo Catherine took is just gorgeous of the tree line and storm clouds. Our house is just over the tree line on the pond...which seems to be a great attraction for lightning. No one wants to be outside when a storm hits.

This is another storm this week that dumped over four inches of rain on us during the day.

While I was taking some photos of this severe storm I could hear voices coming from the pond...I was in the house looking at our island in the pond. Then they kept shouting. I thought possibly some boater had gotten stuck out in the water or come ashore on the island and was in trouble. So my husband and I rushed to the island and found no one. So we took a ride looking around. All of a sudden these four kayaks come from under the bridge by our house...four young teenage boys paddling like crazy in the middle of the storm...guess they were trying to make a go of it to get home...I snapped a few pictures...scary thing is not one of them had a life vest on...apparently they are safe an sound because we never heard anything...Not a good place to be in the middle of a thunder storm.
The prediction this week is for good weather...lets hope so...the ground needs to dry out and I need to get some sun time on my float before this summer ends!

Elizabeth









No comments: