Thursday, December 4, 2008

So Much for My Pumpkins

I wanted to grow some pumpkins and squash to place about our garden in the fall. The plants produced some nice fruit but the foliage and vines were enormous. It had been years since I grew these plants and I had totally forgotten the space they required. This garden I grew them in is simply not "equipped" to handle these varieties. One needs a large bed devoted to just this vine crop....I won't be doing it again anytime soon unless we dig up a bed just for pumpkins. I was able to place sugar pumpkins about with squash and some gourds to add an autumnal look to our garden. As cold weather came the pumpkins frosted over...one morning we looked out and saw "holes" in the pumpkins...we initially thought the fruit rotted but as the day went on we saw the real culprit of the "holes"....
Home grown pumpkins and squash decorating an antique cast iron bench and old cement planters that flank each side of the settee...
Ahhh haaaa...a bushy tailed squirrel discovered a tasty treat...our pumpkins!

Boy o'boy this guy sure knew how to attack and conquer...he made a hole and found the plump and tasty pumpkin seeds.
Apparently the stringy insides were not to his liking as evidenced by the pile of "orange" in front of the planter....
Oh well...I got to grow the pumpkins and use them for adding color to the garden...and "ole bushy tail" finished them off....the circle is complete - I put the seeds in and he took the seeds out...the beauty of gardening!!!!!
Elizabeth



No comments: