Monday, November 14, 2011

Dinosaur Kale Chips - YUCK!!!!!

So as I said after making the kale chips I would report back...DISGUSTING!!!!! What a waste of time, olive oil and really nice kale. Sometimes foodies get on a kick, ever notice that? Well I don't know how many kale chip recipes I have seen but they pulled right in hook, line and sinker. I fell for it..healthy alternative, really tasty, sophisticated crunch blah, blah blah...from my point of view the only thing healthy about these chips is the energy I spent walking around the farmers market carrying my overladen basket...oh yeah...I got a good stretch when I bent WAY OVER to throw them in the trash. They had beautiful eye appeal and the presentation was lovely...so crispy and crunchy...better for you than fried...but the flavor PURE YUCK! I tried them on several occasions over a period of days trying to be fair...but I had to be fair to myself as well and when I came to that realization into the trash...I know the compost pile would have been the "proper" place but quite frankly I don't want these chips ever making their way back to me in any form i.e. compost in my garden growing really tasty things! Oh well...complained long enough...the bad is behind me and I move on...


Beautiful dinosaur or tuscan kale.


I cut the very tough tough stalks away from the leaves...


Kale leaves prepped with olive oil, salt and pepper rubbed all over the before going into a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.


Kale baked to a crisp...


Truly gorgeous presentation...shiny, crisp and looks great just gather and placed into a vase for serving. After this it is all downhill!

The fun part of cooking is trying new things and as we get more experienced over time when just reading a recipe a seasoned cook or baker can know before putting one ingredient on the counter what the results will be...that is why so many of us just love reading cookbooks.

This time I got fooled...big time!!!!!
Elizabeth

No comments: