Thursday, April 17, 2008

More Signs of Spring

I look forward to walking through the gardens every day...so many plants are sneaking out and up! Tomorrow is suppose to reach 70-75 degrees, that is sure to push the growth of all the perenniels. Below are some more garden examples of spring here on the pond.












As you can see above the hosta shoots are just emerging in the upper garden...the unfurling hosta in the second photo are in the lower rock garden. Because the hosta near the rocks are more protected and benefit from the stored heat in the rocks that radiates out once the sun goes down they get a jump start on opening up....
The red shoots above are peonies. I have a several varieties I bought from White Flower Farm a couple of years ago. This will be the second year for blooms on these plants...I am looking forward to see how they are progressing...Peonies are absolutely gorgeous and so so fragrant.




This is the trellis the clematis climbs all over...I can just see the vines starting to emerge...the trellis adds height to the garden and a nice focal point.







To the right are easter lily shoots...every year I plant my easter lilies which are gifts and much to my delight they return...a few years ago we had an invasion of voles and lost them all... we restarted planting the area...I like to keep them near the gazebo so when I sit and look at them I can think about the person who gave them to me!




One of my favorite plants are siberian iris and I am delighted to see their spikes peeking out and coming to life!



As you can see the hollyhocks are sneaking out of their winter burrows to bright sunlight. What gorgeous plants these are. They make for nice back drops as they grow so tall...they always remind me of old fashioned gardens....my father gave me these as transplants two years ago.




Isn't great to see all these signs of spring...things are changing every day!
Til later,
Elizabeth

No comments: