Monday, May 12, 2008

Chilly Day in May to Plant Dahlias

Things are growing by leaps and bounds. All the perennials are just lush and gorgeous. The clematis is almost to the top of the trellis. The bearded iris are budded and the blueberries are loaded with blossoms. Last year no berries but it looks like this year we will get a nice yield.


This is a view of the garden from the deck. The lettuce is in the lower left corner. The garlic is in the upper right corner and the dahlias are in the upper left corner. Perennial herbs are in the lower right. The weather has been so cold and rainy planting tender plants is on hold...
The herbs are just going nuts...the greek oregano is spreading as expected. The chives are budded which doesn't bother me as it is so pretty, and the french tarragon is shooting up inside the black wire obelisk. I cut the sage back severely so it is slow in coming back but I see new leaves. The thyme is huge and just brushing by it is a delight to smell.
I ordered seven different varieties from White Flower Farm early in the year. They sent them a little to early to plant so I sorted them when they came.


I placed them in paper bags and stored them in the garage till this morning. I planted them since the risk of a frost is now not going to hurt these plants. By the time they shoot up our frost risk will be by us. These are wonderful bulbs and hope to have some fabulous flowers come this summer and early fall.
I planted them in the garden plot where I had broadcast some mesclun seed...that frankly did not do well at all. So the green shoots where I planted the dahlias are lettuce leaves not weeds. I'll pick them soon and then get them out of there. I couldn't bear just to eliminate them when I planted the dahlias.I'll plant zinnias for cutting on the other half of the bed once the weather turns.



So all looks great so far. I need to do some clean up but so far the garden this spring is doing just fine.



Elizabeth

No comments: