Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Weekend Halloween Extravaganza

My niece Sandi and her husband Herbie spend the summer with their three children at a campground close to their home. They absolutely love to camp...they have camper and all the luxuries of home...while I have no desire to live a day like this I admire them. This particular campground is very geared to families with children. There is always something to do and the kids are busy all day long. How does life get any better for kids then to spend all day outside with family and friends running, playing, swimming and socializing. To provide your family with this kind of environment all summer long is the healthiest place a child can be physically and emotionally. I am sure it can get a bit antsy on a stretch of rainy days but they live close by so a hop skip and jump to get to home is the remedy one might need for this (I would think).

My sister Catherine loves to camp as well and has decided to go to the campground this weekend and spend three nights in a tent...to me this is only going downhill compared to a night in a camper with a bathroom like Sandie and Herbie have but she is doing it two nights alone...her husband will join her on Saturday. To get to the point...this weekend is the BIG no make that HUGE Halloween party.

Trick or treating starts at 4PM and ends at 5:30PM later there are organized activities at the community center...my sister Catherine expects to hand out 1,000 pieces of candy as Sandie told her to expect this...it is almost unimaginable to me but as much as I don't really do campgrounds how can I miss this...this is just to intriguing.

Of course I think a girl must decorate her tent and campsite so my husband and I will pack up the van with Halloween items and head to the campground. Below are some of the items we are gathering to take with us...I love Halloween items so I pulled "stuff" out and piled it up for the big day. Also downloaded a lot of spooky Halloween music on the iPod for added "atmosphere".

Some of the items needed to decorate Catherine's tent site.
More items...a big rubber bat with fangs, a mirror in one box that when you look in it you see yourself upside down, blinking red eye pirate heads to hang and lots of crepe paper fans, lanterns and balls.
The sign is Bethany Lowe who really does a great job with reproduction vintage Halloween signs, lighting and figurines.
The required pile of spiders, rats and bugs.
The vulture is ready and raring to go...


My newest acquisition...a fortune teller...the ball lights up with glowing colors...this piece is extremely well made...look at those nails and bony fingers.

So we are preparing for this weekend...it should be a blast...nothing like hundreds of kids dressed in costumes racing around looking to fill their bags with treats...

Elizabeth

No comments: