Friday, March 26, 2010

Lemon Icebox Cookies - SOOOO SIMPLE and OH SOOOO GOOD!!!!!

I love a big bowl of citrus on the counter...it looks so pretty, is an affordable "kitchen bouquet" and you can make a cake, cookies or add some zest to a stir fry or use the juice to make a salad dressing...


Today I decided to use some lemons and make Lemon Icebox Cookies...absolutely a snap to make...all done in the food processor...how simple is that?!

Flour (2 cups), confectioners sugar (1 cup), salt(1 tsp) and lemon zest 1 tbsp + 1 tsp) go in first for a spin in the processor...



The unsalted butter ( 1 cup or 2 sticks) in in small chunks is added and processed to a sand like texture...add the egg yolks (2) and a little lemon juice (1 tsp) and DONE...How easy...



Dough is divided in half and rolled in parchment and placed in the frig for a couple of hours...




Once out of the frig...just roll in sugar (1/4 cup)


Slice in 1/4 inch discs and place on parchment lined baking sheets


Fifteen minutes later and cookies are baked (350 degrees)...the fragrance was lovely...buttery and lemony...and that is exactly what they taste like.



Once cooled I packaged them up in glassine bags, added a yellow bow and a metal framed tag with the name of the cookies on it...makes a nice presentation for gift giving. Of course I saved out two for both my husband and myself...
You always needs two cookies...one for each hand of course!!!!!
Elizabeth

1 comment:

Alice Goldsmith said...

Today I am baking a lemon cornmeal cake I found in WOMAN'S DAY magazine. It is a bundt cake . I hope it is as good as it looks.
Love those cookies. Alice