Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Wonderful Day Of Bluegrass Music, Food, Family and Friends


I had the opportunity to attend a bluegrass jam with my nieces, sister and brother in law at the waterfront cabin of friends on Queens Lake up in northern Massachusetts. The cabin was built back in the 1930's by Fred's grandfather and it is absolutely lovely. The architecture, the fireplace and setup is exactly what you would expect and more!!!!! It was a wonderful day and night of good music, good friends and family and the food was beyond words...lots of good cooks...a fantastic day. The weather was a New England classic...cool, crisp, sunny with just a slight breeze. The day went into night and the clear skies over the water was all one could hope for. WHAT A DAY!!!!!

Fred and Richard all "dolled up" with their chef's jackets...looked like they belonged at the Ritz, only the food was a lot better than the Ritz! Look at that smoke emanating from that grill...what was under that hood was the closest to perfection I have ever had...


Musical instruments were played and displayed.



A duet off to the side...isn't this scene wonderful.

The musicians just kept coming in...

Meet a new friend...Bill...quite a fellow...

Ladies setting up for the feast!

Fred is known far and wide for his tomatoes...he raises more heirloom varieties then the biggest commercial growers in the country form what I can tell...this compote of tomatoes with a secret elixir is absolutely delicious...it is served in a huge stemmed pedestal bowl...gorgeous eye appeal!

Homemade baked beans, soup, relishes, sauces, salads are just a few of the bounty offered that day.

The table overflows...

Are you drooling yet? Look at these pork butts...these were under the hood...honestly they are drop dead beautiful - to look at, smell and taste...

Fred slicing and explaining the smoke ring...a true sign of a perfect pork roast...

The line was long for this treat...

When the sun set and the night air got chilly, we moved inside by the huge stone fireplace and the music and conversation flowed...


Wibbie uncovers a jigsaw puzzle she works on...every once in awhile she will stand to sing and it is just lovely to hear her sweet voice...

Lefty and Fred...

A fiddler in the background...
Great photo of Fred...

Looks like this fellow is happy to making music...

So it was a great day...I am so pleased I was invited and was able to spend time with these wonderful folks...

I hummed all the way home. Of course that was when I wasn't licking my chops...man that roast was good...

Elizabeth

1 comment:

Alice Goldsmith said...

Elizabeth , I am so sorry to hear tat you lost both your husband and your Dad.
I know your sadness...since have been there.
You are right our lives are never quite the same again.
With good friends I am 4 !/2 years out from that awful day I found my husband dead in his chair.
Now I can see that he did not suffer, I keep busy and try to enjoy my friends & family.I still make beautiful quilts and do some cooking. Sending you hugs and so glad to see you blogging again..! Alice