Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cake Decorating Lessons Class One

I am a firm believer one is never too old to learn...so with that said I decided to do something I have always wanted to do...learn how to decorate a cake...THE RIGHT WAY!

Every year I faithfully make one or two New Years resolutions...this year I have vowed to give up swearing and take piano lessons...but after talking to a friend I got side tracked and started the cake decorating lessons before the piano lessons. Glad I did as I am enjoying myself...I have met some wonderful people and learned a lot of new things...doesn't get better than that.

I signed up for a four week course at a local craft store and the classes are given by a woman with so much experience that I am in awe of her talent as well as her dedication to teaching the likes of me!

So I signed up, bought the book, the kit, the frosting, plus other things...WHEW, it takes a lot to get started but hey if you are going to do it do it right!

First weeks assignment - bring in six cookies to decorate...now that is a snap as I can make cookies in the dark and that is where the easy stuff ended.

In the kit is a practice board and this is where those with skill and those without come to the light day. If you think it is easy...think again...fill the icing bag, twist it and then position it correctly in your hand and place it to the board and squeeze...not to hard, not to soft but just right...you want each star to look like the other and have no space in between...YIKES!

So my perfect sugar cookies are now going to be decorated....

Not pretty anymore...between the position of the bag, the correct pressure and keeping your pattern in perspective decorating gets tough...but I did it! For sure practice is required to proceed onto getting it right...

So the following week a cake is required to have for class to be decorate...I must have signed up for the accelerated class...a cake already?

Elizabeth


No comments: