Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Wonderful Milk and Honey Bazaar

One of my favorite places to purchase cheese is at the Milk and Honey Bazaar In Tiverton, Rhode Island. Located within the iconic Tiverton Four Corners area this little shop is worth stopping at. There is such a great assortment of well over 100 varieties of cheeses as well as pates, charcuterie, olive oils, olives, vinegars, honey, crackers and much more.

When I drive in on the gravel driveway I can't wait to get inside. Once inside the cases beckon with so many choices. What makes shopping here so wonderful is that the owner/cheese monger is so welcoming. She offers samples before purchase, explains the varieties with great detail and experience. This particular day I visited with my nephew Seth.. We tried a 2 year and 5 year old Gouda...the difference was very noticeable and we quickly learned we like the younger Gouda...it was so much milder, something we would have never known just looking at a cheese at a supermarket. We sample a few others and once again I tried a soft spreadable goat cheese...UGH! I just can not tolerate that flavor...we learned the reason the cheese is stronger in flavor at times (most of the time as far as I am concerned) is that a male goat is in close proximity when a female goat is being milked. Apparently a hormone is released and this will account for a strong "goat" flavor. I vote all males should be on the next property when milking is going on!

A wonderful photo taken by Seth of the building...

I bought a nice wedge of parmigiano reggiano...

A great piece of Geit In Stad...a goat cheese but firmer then the spreadable "yucky" kind...

and a two year old Gouda....

a photo of the inside...

a blurb from the brochure...

the paperwork...

the facts!

So if you are in the area, make a point of stopping by...well worth the time. Oh and don't forget to go just a few feet down to Gray's Ice Cream for the best ice cream in Rhode Island.

Elizabeth

No comments: