Sunday, September 2, 2012

Eggplant Meatballs

I was looking at the local flyer for Dave's Market and saw they were making eggplant meatballs...that intrigued me.  Since I like a good vegetarian meal this was right up my alley.  I decided to make my own and they turned out just fine.  The other day when in the market I decided to check Dave's out...at $7.99 a pound that is all I did...since I had my own at home... I may buy a couple next time just to compare but what I made was very very good.  Only thing I would do different is after roasting the eggplant I would place the pulp in a sieve and drain the excess liquid out...other than that I am very pleased with my recipe.

Roasted eggplant scooped out of the skin

Homemade flavored breadcrumbs

Breadcrumbs and eggplant combined and seasoned with
fresh chopped basil, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes,
garlic powder, grated Parmesan cheese, a little olive oil and salt and pepper.

Rolled to "meatballs" and placed on a Pam sprayed baking sheet
You could also line with parchment paper...
because there is little fat in this recipe meatballs will stick to baking sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes...
just to firm up and dry out so they hold their shape.


All done...look good!

I made my own spaghetti sauce since the garden is overflowing with tomatoes...
So supper was easy...linguine from Chef A Roni (one of my favorite stores),
my own spaghetti sauce and eggplant meatballs with fresh grated reggiano parmigiana!
PERFECTION!!!
!!



A delicious way to have a meatless meal...
Elizabeth

No comments: