Monday, September 10, 2012

Succotash Rhode Island Style

Growing up this was the time of year my grandmother always made a huge pot succotash.  We never had just one meal of succotash in the summertime but we had as many as we could fit in while the shell beans and corn were available.  It was the kids job to sit on the porch and open the beans into the pot and then go down by the shed to shuck the corn.  My grandmother did not want any of the corn silk or mess on her clean porch or in her immaculate kitchen.  Once we finished our tasks after being told more than once to get moving and stop lollygagging...everything was added to that one big pot and cooked through with a piece of salt pork for flavor.  Once finished this wonderful concoction was ladled into a bowl and served with a crusty piece of bread...so simple, so easy, so good.  

I have carried on the tradition because I can't imagine a summer without succotash...not only because it tastes so good and healthy but because this pot holds a bounty of memories I wouldn't trade for anything.


Shell beans in all their glory.


Fresh shucked corn cut of the cob.


The starch in both the beans and corn make the broth creamy. 

With the addition of fresh potatoes the meal is complete.

I am so thankful Nana taught me to make succotash...and even more thankful for having her in my life.
Elizabeth

No comments: