Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Dessert Pizzas for Vacation Bible School

When I heard my three little nieces would be attending Vacation Bible School (VBS) at Wood River Baptist Church I offered to make cookies for one of the weekday snacks.  My sister came back one day and asked if I would make the last day snack and it was to be a "special" snack.  I asked the head count she said 100...WOW...sounded like a lot but I had to be glad that many kids were going to VBS.  Later the count was reduced...but still up there...now I had to figure out what to make.  

I decided on dessert pizzas...basically one huge cookie covered with "toppings" and cut into wedges like a savory pizza.  I decided on a S'more pizza and a Fruit pizza.  Both as easy as "pie"!!!!!

The s'more pizza had a chocolate chip cookie base topped with chocolate chips, broken pieces of graham crackers and mini marshmallows. The fruit pizza has a sugar cookie base then covered with a sweetened cream cheese layer topped with pieces of fruit.  I "cheated" and used prepared cookie dough which made making ten (10) pizzas a much easier task.  In the future I will use a homemade cookie base just to see what the differences are.  

I heard both styles of pizzas got rave reviews and many requests for both recipes....a sure sign these were a hit!

The S'more Pizza

Six s'more pizzas ready to be packed for VBS.

The fruit pizza sugar cookie base covered with the cream cheese mixture.

The finished product...absolutely gorgeous!  I made four of these.

A close up...colorful and tasty...and for those of you who want to live in a delusional world...healthy too!
Just 'cuz it is covered in fruit doesn't make it healthy but who's counting calories on the last day of VBS.

So there you have it...fun to make, pretty to look at, very tasty and kid approved.
Elizabeth

No comments: