Friday, August 24, 2012

Sachuest Point Walk

When my niece Jesseca lived in Middletown she took me to Sachuest Point and the beaches in that area and I thought I died and went to heaven.  I had heard of these areas but never realized what I had been missing...so so beautiful!  This is another area of my home state that makes being a Rhode Islander so satisfying.  I realize that the politics here are deplorable, the job market is the worst in the country, taxes are high but I still have to say I can't imagine living anywhere else on this earth.  I do on occasion think of going elsewhere but in the end I believe this is where I will always be...

Since my introduction to Sachuest Point which was simply riding in the car and looking out the windows (with my mouth wide open in amazement) I have wanted to walk the trails.  This is where my survival instincts kick in...I have walked many places and seen some delightful scenes but I DO NOT DO IT IF IT MEANS perspiration is involved...I despise hot weather walking....I will do that on the treadmill so I can immediately take a shower.  

So when I heard the hot weather was breaking I figured good time to go over and take in the sights.  I mistakenly believed the weatherman.  It was so HOT!!!!!  I have left out one adjective in the "It was so HOT" sentence that I liberally used to describe the HOT...I tried giving up swearing as one of my New Years resolutions this year but I have failed miserably...to be honest I like to swear...those words role off my tongue like honey...it feels good...to be clear I do use discretion and I do not use vulgarity...hey I do know where to draw the line!  So back to the walk...because I was misled to believe the weather was to be cool...I dressed for coolness...when I stepped out the door it wasn't bad out, a little warmer than expected but I kept going.  When I got to the parking lot and stepped out of the car it was warm and then I saw the first sign I should have taken seriously but ignored...people coming off the trail were wearing tiny little running shorts and tank tops...but I forged ahead.  

The walk was beautiful, the things I saw wonderful, people were friendly, the natural floral was
gor-gor-gorgeous but I was so so hot I was distracted at times.  I can promise you no one and I mean no one has ever been happier after this walk to see the parking lot than me...I could have kissed the ground!  

Will I do it again....absolutely but on a cool autumn day.  Time to stop complaining because I lived to talk about it...and I must remember I have always told the kids in our family...work hard don't complain because no one ever drown in their own sweat.  

Enjoy the pictures of this wonderful place in Rhode Island...plan sometime to enjoy a walk here.  It is free and something offered for anyone to use...you will not be disappointed.

Introduction to the area

Trails



I walked the Ocean View Loop Trail

View of St. George's School 


Second Beach from the trail

One of the shady areas on the trail...
this is an easy walk and everything is cleared
so the trails are readily accessible


This person had a wonderfully clear day for sailing


One of many signs along the trail offering
 information to answer questions you may have.



There is so much to see...
the natural plant stock just adds one more element
to a beautiful walk...


Delightful

Wild berries that the birds devour

There was lots of thistle blooming

Queen Anne's Lace was abundant

Rose hips were thick on bushes

Wild honeysuckle made the air fragrant


White morning glories?


The next three photos were fun to take...I watched as it appeared a sailboat and quahog boat looked to be on a collision course...as they passed each other from my point of view it looked like they touched but the third photo reveals all went well.






The end of the trail...the parking lot in view...
when I crested the small hill I could barely contain my jubilation
I could see my car.
I hit the remote start button to get the air conditioner
going!!!!!




So there you have it...a wonderful part of Rhode Island open for anyone to visit and discover...next time I go walk this trail there will be frost on the pumpkin...till then I will float in the pond and dream.

Elizabeth

No comments: